Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ode to a Skirt Part II

This is the second outfit with my new skirt. I have kind of a old-timey creepy Jesus sorceress matron vibe going on.



Thrifted shirt, Tunnel Vision skirt, thrifted/hand me down jewelery.

I'm really rockin' the pouty face in these pictures. If I ignore my squinty expression, though, I really like these pictures. The peonies in my yard are in bloom, and we probably have another week before they droop under their own weight and start rotting on the ground. Ah, summer. At least the butterflies are out! I've been watching them flap around drunkenly in the school garden. I like them a lot.

On an unrelated note, here are some thoughts I had about where I buy my clothes:

Recently I've been trying to buy the majority of my clothes from thrift stores, vintage stores, or small businesses like the ones on etsy. This is for a number of reasons. At first, it was mostly because I like having special and unique pieces of clothing. All of my favorite pieces are either vintage or handmade, and I think it's because the shapes, textures, and patterns are so interesting and different from the things I find at big chain stores. This isn't to say that I don't like the clothes from these retailers; in fact, I own quite a few things from Forever 21 and several from Urban Outfitters. I just find my thrifted, vintage, and handmade things to be the most interesting and treasured pieces in my wardrobe, not to mention they're often better quality.

The clothing itself isn't the only reason I'm trying to avoid chain stores. I've recently become a lot more conscious of where my clothing is coming from and the effect it has on the world. I ran across this post by Taylor-Ruth of Hanging Rock Comics a while ago that outlines some of the human rights issues with Urban Outfitters, and I've since decided to stop shopping there. It also got me thinking about other companies like Forever 21, H&M, Topshop, and all the usual suspects. I haven't heard much about the ethics of those corporations, but the fact that they're so big and have relatively trendy, low-priced clothing makes me think that they must cut corners to keep it that way. I feel better knowing that the clothing I buy is coming from a small business or is secondhand.

I'm probably not going to stop shopping at these places entirely (aside from Urban Outfitters, their business practices are too despicable for me to feel comfortable supporting them) and I'll continue to wear the clothing of theirs that I already own. I'm an unemployed teenager with a really tight budget, so I can't always resist the temptation of the sale racks at a fast-fashion chain. For the most part, though, I'm making a conscious effort to know where my clothing is coming from.

2 comments:

  1. This really makes me want a maxi skirt for this summer! Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally. in a way it is a form of recycling as well. i feel like all clothes at the stores you mentioned are disposable- based on trend and poor quality.. that i don't see the point in buying their clothing when i will probably get rid of it in a matter of time... really. i prefer to support non-profit organizations where my money is going right back into the community rather then some international monster. call it for what it is, you know? those stores are the walmarts of clothing. and that ain't a good thing.
    xo
    k

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat!